'It's grim up North! Well definitely not!! Witton-Le-Wear is a 'must see' and a 'must stay in' village, and now with an additional B&B available at The Victoria Pub. We can see you in one of our rooms right at the heart of the village while you enjoy your stay here. We can't wait to meet you and help you explore our little village and the wider surrounding area. So to give you a little taste and wet your appetite, some top tips from us:
- Just down the road about a mile away, along the railway path and across the field is Low Barnes Nature Reserve, which is a Site of Special Scientific Interest. Lovely walks, fabulous bird watching facilities and of course, we can help by providing you with a picnic hamper
- During the summer months you could book to see Kynren - An Epic Tale of England with a massive 7.5acre outdoor stage with a Cast and Crew of 1000 people! We are less than 15 minutes away. www.kynren.com
- Durham, 25 minute drive away. A world Heritage Site with the people's cathedral at it's heart. www.durhamcathedral.co.uk
- Barnard Castle or Barney as we fondly know it, is 20 minutes away and is home to the famous Bowes Museum. www.thebowesmuseum.org.uk Also made famous by Dominic Cummings.
- Bishop Auckland is 6 miles away and has so much happening! You can see the Mining Art Gallery, look out across town from the Auckland Tower, and visit the grounds of Auckland Castle (the castle is due to open 2019) www.aucklandproject.org
- So many options for walks and bike rides, you really will be spoilt for choice. www.thisisdurham.com/outdoors/cycling-in-durham/cycling-routes - the board outside our Community Centre details walks around the village
- Oh yes, and we have a trainline! Our village hosts a platform where vintage trains stop and you can enjoy a ride up the dale.
So whatever you want to do while staying with us we are sure that you will find what you are looking for. You will experience The Victoria as a village asset, definitely frequented by the villagers, but don't panic, we all love talking to visitors and making you feel at home. So do join us for the Quiz on a Thursday Night, themed nights and a Gin or two!
See you soon
County Durham is a rural county with a City, the Dales and a Coastline, find out more at